Saturday, May 2, 2009

An accidental trip to the Farmers' Market in Union Square

Good for my tummy and wallet

Today I got up at 7:30 AM (painfully early for a Saturday) to go to the Valentino Sample Sale. I have gone to this sample sale three years in a row and have always come out dragging huge shopping bags filled with beautiful clothes, shoes and bags. This year however, I came out empty-handed and sad. There were were so many beautiful things I fell in love with, but since I am quitting my job soon to pursue my MBA, I decided to save the money for an upcoming school trip or some other school activity.

I decided to walk home to shake of the images of those beautiful, buttery leather boots I tried on, and I ended up at the Farmers' Market in Union Square.
This place is great, it gives New Yorkers access to fresh produce from local producers. So instead of shopping for high-end luxury items I decided to buy some fresh, local produce. This is what I walked away with: shiitake mushrooms, baby bok choy and asparagus.


And this was lunch, asparagus and tomato salad, and soba noodles in miso broth with shiitake mushrooms, baby bok choy, tofu and eggplant. This soup was loosely based on
this recipe, but I made my own broth with bonito, kombu and the mushroom stems instead of using vegetable stock.


So did it work? My lunch certainly made me happy, but I am still thinking about those boots. I think I will go back to the sample sale on its last day, when they have deeper discounts. Who knows, I might get lucky.


No comments:

Post a Comment