Tonight I had a little extra time, so dinner included miso black cod, rice with veggies, soy eggs and pickles.
Miso-marinated black cod is famous in NY thanks to Nobu Matsushita. It is an expensive dish at restaurants, so for years I considered it to be an indulgence. That is, until I got a hold of the modified recipe from Rasa Malaysia and realized that it is very easy to do. Enjoy!
Recipe: Black Cod with Miso (Miso-marinated Black Cod)
Adapted from Nobu: The Cookbook
2-3 black cod fillets (about 1 lb)
For the marinade:
1/4 cup sake
1/4 cup mirin
4 tablespoons of white miso paste
3 tablespoons of sugar
- Mix the marinate ingredients thoroughly in a plastic container (with lid) and set aside. Save some for plating purposes.
- Pat the fish fillets dry with paper towels and put them into the plastic container with the marinate. Cover the lid and leave to steep in the refrigerator overnight or for 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degree F.
- Preheat an indoor grill at the same time.
- Lightly wipe off (with fingers) any excess miso marinate clinging to the fish fillets but don’t rinse it off. Place the fish on the grill and lightly grill on both sides until the surface turns brown.
- Transfer the fish fillets to the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Add a few extra drops of the marinate on the plate and serve hot.